The African Restaurant Week (ARW) Food and Music Festival celebrating local businesses and culture will take place on Saturday and Sunday October 14 at City College (Convent Ave from 135th street to 140th street) in Harlem and will run from 11am – 6pm on both days.
The ARW Food and Music Festival is brought to you in collaboration with The West Harlem Development Corporation, City College, Team Unity and the West Harlem Arts Alliance. The event aims to promote culture, small business and community cohesion.
- Food tastings by chefs from across the diaspora (Africa, Caribbean, African-American) – including neighborhood favorites from Harlem – Ponty Bistro, Jacob, Tsion Cafe, La Savane and more
- Marketplace with local vendors/artisans – enjoy great deals, giveaways
- Top DJ spinning the best of Afrobeats, soca, Kompa, Amapiano, R&B and more
- Live performances – cultural performances, dancing, local talents
- Chef Contests/Taste & Vote – where judges and attendees choose their best tasting dish
- Arts exhibition, live painting and more
The festival would include provide an opportunity for local talents, small businesses, artisans to network and connect with the community.
“Join us in Harlem, where the arts and culture flourish, as we come together to honor the traditions, talents, and heritage that make Harlem a true melting pot of inspiration and community. Come enjoy the community, culture and support small business – Akin Akinsanya (Lead Organizer, African Restaurant Week Festival).
“WHDC is proud of bringing the NY African Food and Music Festival to West Harlem. The great collaboration between WHDC, African Restaurant Week, CCNY and their African Student groups, is sure to produce a wonderful culinary and cultural experience for our community…” said WHDC Executive Director Zead Ramadan.
Chef Contest – (Taste & Vote) – Chef contest where judges and attendees choose their favorite dish.
- Chefs representing their country compete on who has the best Jollof Rice dish
- Judges and attendees get a tasting from each country and vote for their favorite.
- Chef/cook with the most votes win. Participating countries include Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Guinea, Liberia and more.